14 September, 2005

Dubai and the Asian Games

Over at LiveJournal's UAE community, a poster is asking for opinions on Dubai hosting the 2016 Asian games for a university project:

"I'm a university student in Singapore, and for one of my geography modules, we have to do a project on an Asian city that would be a good choice to host the 2016 Summer Olympics, and my groups has chosen Dubai. :) I was just wondering how local Dubai-ites would feel about this - whether all the development and crowds would be welcomed. I just need to know you think you would react if your city got chosen to host the olympics. Aside from the glory and the economic benefits, I need answers at a more individual level. How would you feel about all the problems that such a large influx of people into the country would bring? Do you think that Dubai is (or will be) capable of hosting such a large scale event in the next ten years? My research shows that it is planning to bid, but it hasn't officially been approved or something."

If anyone would like to contribute a view, do drop by there and reply, or if you don't have a LiveJournal login, just reply below.

3 comments:

Keef said...

Aargh! I would have been very happy to reply (as I'm sure lots of other UAE bloggers would have), but the original poster requires a LiveJournal login. Hmmm. Is problem.

secretdubai said...

Ah - yes. It's free to get a login, but an unnecessary hassle. I've dropped them a reply pointing to this place, so perhaps people can reply here instead.

clayfuture said...

With the new Sports city coming up, I think Dubai will have Olympic level facilites, if not close to it. Even though the Sports city is not in the city center, massive traffic jams will occur all over if the Summer Olympics do come to Dubai. I dread the day DSF starts, but I don't think Dubai will give much thought to the traffic system in this case.

Post a Comment

NOTE: By making a post/comment on this blog you agree that you are solely responsible for its content and that you are up to date on the laws of the country you are posting from and that your post/comment abides by them.

To read the rules click here

If you would like to post content on this blog click here