24 October, 2005

From one side of reality...

In the UAE it seems as though we have two parallel worlds--one for Arab speakers and the other for speakers of English. And the twain seldom meet. From the English side I find it wonderful how one can function so well and be so connected locally and with the rest of the world. TV, newspapers, radio, the net, signs and billboards, or in the shops and on the streets--nearly everything seems to be accessible through the medium of English. But occasionally I flip on an Arabic channel or I see my Arabic speaking students using the net. It then seems that they are part of a totally different world even though we share a common physical realm.

For example, when I see a bit of local news on an Arabic channel all I see as the camera pans are people in dishdashas and abayas. Whether in a shopping mall, a hotel, on the streets or in an open space, the screen appears to be filled with images of locals. It doesn't look at all like the world I see every day. Then when I think about it a little more, I realize that the two language communities probably don't watch the same movies, read the same news, listen to the same music, attend the same events, etc. Although I've lived in other countries (2 to be exact), where there existed two or more different linguistic groups, there was not this degree of separateness. Eithier one or the other clearly set the tone of things, or the different linguistic communities at least shared common experiences. It never seemed like two separate realities, the way it does here in the UAE.

I share this observation because I feel there is something wrong in this regard with the way the two linguistic groups remain so distinct. That being said, I don't have any remedies to suggest. I think that the last thing that anyone should do is to try to impose or dictate on matters of cultural integration. Maybe one might endeavor to create an atmosphere where integration happens spontaneously. I suppose if there are any bi-lingual speakers who are part of this forum, they could act as a bridge to bring the two realities closer together.

5 comments:

Jassim said...

There is more than one side, not just english and arabic divides us but also the nations.

The differences is not as clear cut as you say, because many arabs have access to your world, listen to your music , watch your news and love your films. But a non-arabic person usually cannot do this. To even say that language is the thing that seperates is not correct.

I even met a lebanese guy last week who told me he had no Local friends after 2 years of living here and the only time he ever interacts with us would be through work.

CG said...

I agree that is is not a language thing. A lot of foreigners here have told me they would like to know more about the culture here etc...but I really do not think they can begin to comprehend how deep it goes.
There is one word that keeps coming to mind, ACCEPTANCE. I feel it is extremely important to most Arabs to be accepted by their society and families, but in other cultures I get a strong sense of 'each to their own'. This is where cultural integration is very difficult. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

secretdubai said...

Things are very divided here, in terms of locals and expats. There are obvious reasons why, but it is still sad.

B.D. said...

You make a good point, chevygirl. I don't know if I can speak for most Americans or Westerners but definitely in my case the desire to be independent started at a very early age. To go it on our own is a measure of success from both the parent's and child's perspective. There isn't so much of a need to be accepted by others. The key for us, "Be OK with yourself." I have a close Indian friend and he often won't do things--like wear a helmet on a motorcycle when in India--because other people in his village will think he's trying to show off. So he carries it on the side and only puts it on when out of the village. It seems to matter to him what other people think (family and society) rather than making choices on the basis of what seems correct to himself.

luckyfatima said...

Like local hero said, so many Arabs do watch, read, listen to English language stuff...it is non-Arabic speakers who don't get into the arabic stuff unless they make an effort.

i noticed on local arabic channels they tend to focus on locals only too in shots at City Center, etc. Really, you would think DXB was only locals. I think they are just catering to the viewers though cuz non-local Arabs don't usually watch UAE channels, they watch their own national channels plus MBCs, etc.

I wish more promotion of arabic events was done for english speakers cuz i would like to go to some Arab singers' concerts but I never know about them.

Anywayz, peace.

Post a Comment

NOTE: By making a post/comment on this blog you agree that you are solely responsible for its content and that you are up to date on the laws of the country you are posting from and that your post/comment abides by them.

To read the rules click here

If you would like to post content on this blog click here