Here's the deal. My husband is close to getting an offer for a 2-year gig in Dubai. So I'm completely confused about maybe a million things.
- First, regarding the offer, I've heard that he should ask for double his currently salary. That sounds awesome. Is it realistic?
- We have a little house that is not in saleable condition as far as I'm concerned. Do we off-load it because it's too much of a nuisance to maintain it from so far away or is renting better?
- Do people typically get enough in these packages to maintain a home in the US while living in Dubai?
- How much can we expect in the relocation package?
- For 2 Americans who would expect MORE than the comforts of home, how much can we reasonably expect to pay for rent and can we reasonably expect his employer to pay it on top of his salary?
- What necessities should we ask for from his employer that they may be willing to pay but not willing to offer up without us asking?
- What do we do about cars?
- Can I get Comedy Central and/or BBC on TV there?
- We are definitely middle income people with substantial but not debilitating debt. Is it realistic for us to have enough spare cash on hand to get out of debt if we're reasonably careful about spending while there?
- Are there any furnished apartments anyone would recommend?
I'm sure there are a million more questions, and I know I'm a little vague, but maybe you can answer the questions you wish you'd asked before going.