09 November, 2005

housing fees...

I recently moved again and when I received my DEWA bill...BANG. There it is. The 5% housing fee. Gosh, that's another 500 Dhs monthly going down the drain.
Is it only me or did I miss the big announcements of implementing this fee in Dubai. Went to Dewa the other day and checked out the info there. I was shocked to learn that it is not only 5% of the yearly rent but also, property owners must pay 5% of 10% of the purchase price!
Now here's the question. If I live in a building and pay 5% housing fee, does the owner of the building also pay a housing fee? Is this fee only for expats? Do offices/shops also have to pay this?
Appreciate any reliable info anyone has.....

5 comments:

CG said...

expats only

Keef said...

As far as I know this fee has existed at least as long as I have lived in Dubai, but the Muni didn't have an efficient way to collect it. I think it's a stroke of genius that they've got DEWA collecting it, although it would have been really nice if the Muni had bothered to publicise this properly. I was always a bit lackadaisical about paying my DEWA bill - they never seemed too bothered until it got over Dhs 1000 or 2000. So the day that they cut the power off was the first I knew that I was being charged x hundred a month for the Muni. Not pleased.

Anonymous said...

This is RIDICULOUS.....my charges for utilities are only half of what I pay as housing fees ! Morons....

Anonymous said...

I am paying 500 dirhams also for housing fees -they dont like to use the word TAX (bcz of course, dubai has no tax)so they use HOUSING FEE instead. This is totally absurd as I called DEWA to complain about hte services they offer in return for the money I'm paying, they said call municipality. so i called municipality&they said its not their concern call RTA! By definition housing fees should not be paid if there is anything wrong with the infrastructure of your surrounding.

Anonymous said...

I really wonder why the old bldgs in Dubai are not charging any housing fees, while all the new bldgs made after 2005 are charged with it thru the DEWA Bill?

Post a Comment

NOTE: By making a post/comment on this blog you agree that you are solely responsible for its content and that you are up to date on the laws of the country you are posting from and that your post/comment abides by them.

To read the rules click here

If you would like to post content on this blog click here