13 November, 2005

What's In A Name?

My three best friends are Shirley, Hillary and Meg. They’re all guys! Shirley is an athletic, determined dive instructor from Sri Lanka. Hillary is a handsome, mustached concierge from Goa. And Meg is a cute and charming waiter from Nepal. They’re not really my best friends but I have to group them together as the three guys I know with the most unexpected names. I don’t really know how they ended up with such names, except for Shirley. He said his father just liked the name. He doesn’t have any sisters, but that’s kind of irrelevant anyway as he was the first child. Perhaps his father just couldn’t wait to use the name—which is just as well, since after Shirley came 3 more boys.

Anyway, the next time I hear the names Shirley, Hillary and Meg, instead of thinking Temple, Clinton and Ryan, I’ll have to summon up images of three dudes from the Indian sub-continent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTE: By making a post/comment on this blog you agree that you are solely responsible for its content and that you are up to date on the laws of the country you are posting from and that your post/comment abides by them.

To read the rules click here

If you would like to post content on this blog click here