21 March, 2006

Bigus vs Dubai Enquirer round 2

ting ting

Dubai Enquirer has posted a response to bigus on this thread

Dear Cheryl,

We've been watching this recent correspondence with lively interest and have come to one conclusion. That you should be writing for us! As a way of apology for your unfortunate outing in the Gulf News - which was not our intention - we would like to offer you a column in the Dubai Enquirer as platform for your unique views and outlook. We feel that you have much to impart to our readers and look forward to welcoming you onboard the good ship satire.

Love,
Clive, and all at the Dubai Enquirer.

Apparently the enquirer team took a liking/hating to the blogging communities comments and posted them on its website (bottom of page)
What people are saying about The Dubai Enquirer:
"The most talked about website in Dubai" Campaign Middle East
"Poorly written rubbish" One of our many blogging fans
"Has already achieved something like cult status, causing unlimited merriment" Time Out Dubai
"Inexplicably rude and cruel" Secret Dubai
"Groundbreaking....Opening a new perspective on Dubai" The Gulf News
"Interesting for the first issue or two, now it's a bit boring" Another blogging supporter
"Not as funny as it used to be" The Dubai Enquirer
"The rapidly successful spoof news site" Emirates Today

They quoted me but they didn't even name me ):

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to think. I really don't have a comment right now; it your basic loss for words.

secretdubai said...

Well, my comment isn't accurate. I had and still have a lot of praise for the publication. Being a Viz lover, I found it extremely funny.

"Rude and cruel" relates specifically to them disclosing someone's name in a separate interview.

But whatever, I think they've shown their true colours.

samuraisam said...

at least they credited you SD /:

I'm actually finding it pretty funny because you were the main person that popularized their website if I recall correctly.

Anonymous said...

omg u guys sux!!!!! hehe. like who cares if teh enquirer said sum sh*t or not in a paper or whatever, there website is kewl n thats it. any1 know when next issue is? lol

Anonymous said...

Is that English?

Tainted Female said...

*clap, clap, clap* for Sam & Sheikha.

You've just managed to gain my upmost respect.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!

Look come on, OK! Hey, this is just being a little bit of the fun, you know? OK! Let's all take a chill pill and be calming down, right? I have the laughter with the Dubai Enquirer - I am crazu guy, yeah! - but I know when the laughter stop and the tears begin. OK? So everyone, just be cooling out a little bit now, yeah! Let's love a little peace now!

John B. Chilton said...

SD's comment isn't accurate she says? What? I think she means taken out of context it gets taken to mean one thing when she meant another.

DE's a biting satire and I do like my satire to be ascerbic. So, I too, find DE funny. But satire can always be subjected to multiple interpretations - as the cartoons kerfuffle demonstrates, I suppose.

Is their offer of rapprochement to Sheikh Cheryl sincere? Dunno. May be it depends on how deep they think her pockets are. There again, I'm proud my wit has also been labeled ascerbic.

More likely, the motive for the offer is to gain attention - a goal that I can say, as I write this, has been accomplished.

samuraisam said...

Personally I’m waiting in anticipation for their next issue to see what they say about all of this, they also claimed to have recruited Penny Francis, so…

Firstly, the ‘milk sheikh’ incident which resulted in Mc Donald’s contacting them,
Secondly, ‘Mosque Def’
Thirdly, the public outing of a bloggers name in a large publication.

Whether these were intentional/unintentional my “Attention whore” meter is going off the fucking scale.

Personally not my type of humour, I prefer more accidental humour, i'll stick to good ole' dengrous boy and balushit.

secretdubai said...

D's comment isn't accurate she says? What? I think she means taken out of context it gets taken to mean one thing when she meant another.

It means exactly what it says. It's not being used accurately in so far as I made it specifically referring to their conduct in a magazine interview, it had nothing to do with their own publication.

You can see my own blog for positive things I wrote about the actual DE.

Tainted Female said...

Personally not my type of humour, I prefer more accidental humour, i'll stick to good ole' dengrous boy and balushit.

I'm with you on this one... Thanks for the 'dengrous' link. I have to say, that short blog had me giggling.

Post a Comment

NOTE: By making a post/comment on this blog you agree that you are solely responsible for its content and that you are up to date on the laws of the country you are posting from and that your post/comment abides by them.

To read the rules click here

If you would like to post content on this blog click here